Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tuesday Review Day! Spolier Free!

Since my latest class is Tuesday (6-9pm), it interferes with getting my reviews in before midnight. Especially if I have to finish the last two chapters before I can't post a review. And no, I am not going to change it to 'Wednesday Review Day' because that just sounds stupid ;)


 
Written by: Pittacus Lore, James Frey, Jobie Hughes
Publication date: August 23, 2011 HarperCollins
Released in Hardcover, 406 pages

5 stars

Synopsis: I've seen him on the news. Followed the stories about what happened in Ohio. John Smith, out there, on the run. To the world, he's a mystery. But to me . . . he's one of us.

Nine of us came here, but sometimes I wonder if time has changed us—if we all still believe in our mission. How can I know? There are six of us left. We're hiding, blending in, avoiding contact with one another . . . but our Legacies are developing, and soon we'll be equipped to fight. Is John Number Four, and is his appearance the sign I've been waiting for? And what about Number Five and Six? Could one of them be the raven-haired girl with the stormy eyes from my dreams? The girl with powers that are beyond anything I could ever imagine? The girl who may be strong enough to bring the six of us together?

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They tried to catch Number Four in Ohio—and failed.

I am Number Seven. One of six still alive.

And I'm ready to fight.

My Review: From the above, we know this time we are following Number Seven, Marina. She lives on a mountain top in Spain in a convent with her Cepan, Adelina. Which reminds me...there are great names in this book! All except John Smith. Bleh. Why can't the hot guy have a name that fits him? Anyway...

Marina is 17 and has her basic Legacies; telekinesis, speed and one other I won't spoil for you! She's also very bright but I don't that's a Legacy. She doesn't sound seventeen either, starting sentences with "ostensibly". Doesn't sound like something a 17yr old girl would say. Not even one from a different planet, raised in a convent. I think that reflects more on the author than the character.

It was a surprise for me that the book alternates narrators between Marina and John Smith! Since John is still with Six, we get to see lots of her too! Before reading this, I wasn't sure how we were going to see John. I thought it would just be through Number Seven's eyes. Sam is still there along with Bernie Kosar. The whole gang! Because of everything that happened in Paradise, Ohio, um, like the destruction of the high school - they're all on the run and trying to stay hidden from the police and Mogodorians! The only good thing about them being on the run, is that while they're driving from state to state, there's plenty of time to catch up on the mysterious Number Six and her raven hair - unlike the blond they cast to play her in the movie. I still like the movie, I'm just saying. DETAILS PEOPLE! (my review of the movie)

As we meet Marina, we get to see the kind of life she has been forced to live in order to remain safe from the Mogodorians. Living in a convent, or at least this one in particular, isn't easy when all your instincts are telling you that you need to get out into the world and fight this war - but everyone around you, even your Cepan who has begun to believe in a different cause, is telling you that prayer is the best way to fight your battles. I'm all for prayer, but I don't think it's quite what this situation calls for. Then one day a little girl joins the convent. She's a little bit of a mystery, as she seems to get around the huge convent so quietly not even Marina can hear her. She also disappears for long periods of time and returns as if from nowhere.

John is still learning about the contents on his Chest and dealing with the grief of losing Henri, his Cepan. He misses Sarah too, and fights everyday not to call her.  He and Sam are training with Six while trying to figure out their next move. How do they find the others? How do they get there without getting caught by Mogs or police first? And don't forget Six's Chest. She's pretty sure she knows where it is but getting there and out alive will be next to impossible. But when she finally learns the location of another Garde member and sees they are in trouble, they all have a decision to make - stay together or split up? What Marina doesn't have, is training. She doesn't know how to fight and she's never seen inside her Chest. She doesn't even know where it is. She thinks the Mogodorian's are following her now, a strange man watching her through windows, and she's completely unprepared.

The Garde have the most awesome powers! Between Four, Six and Seven they are every superhero/superhuman I've ever heard of, and more. They're all looking for each other; Numbers Four and Six are searching for Marina, even though they don't her yet, or what number she is. It was very exciting bouncing back and forth between Four and Seven, yet equally frustrating because you want them to hurry up and find each other already!

Overall: The suspense is killer. There are some major twists and surprises and an unbelievable ending. There are serious battles throughout almost the whole book. What can I say? Never a dull moment.



2 comments:

Melissas Eclectic Bookshelf said...

I decided not to read this series after I was so dissapointed with the movie... You're review is giving me second thoughts!

♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

I Live In A Fictional World said...

The book is a lot more detailed than the movie. I Am Number Four was awesome and its sequel was just as good! You should really give them a try, I don't think you'll regret it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails