Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Tuesday Review Day! *Minor Spoilers*

Written by: Aprilynne Pike
Publication date: May 3, 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published April 28th 2011)
Released in Hardcover, ebook and Kindle

5 stars

Synopsis: Laurel hasn't seen Tamani since she begged him to let her go last year. Though her heart still aches, Laurel is confident that David was the right choice.

But just as life is returning to normal, Laurel discovers that a hidden enemy lies in wait. Once again, Laurel must turn to Tamani to protect and guide her, for the danger that now threatens Avalon is one that no faerie thought would ever be possible. And for the first time, Laurel cannot be sure that her side will prevail.

My Review: By the third page, I had my mouth wide open, my hand over my mouth and my eyes popping out of my head! No time was wasting getting this story started! The whole book was suspense. Who is Yuki? Who is Klea? Which is really the one in charge here? And what does any of it have to do with Laurel??

I think Laurel was extremely selfish in this book. It took another girl to show interest in Tamani for Laurel to realize that she didn't want anyone else that close to him but her. But she felt the same way about David. She wants to bounce between them for as long as she can because she isn't strong enough to let either of them go. I think three books is waaay too long for Laurel to decide who she truly loves and wants to be with. I think she felt obligated to love David in return for everything they've been through however, nobody is really winning in that situation. Neither of them benefit from loving or being loved for the wrong reasons. I did love the exchanges between Tamani and David, though. It adds humor and tension and it will split readers between Team Tamani or Team David.

At the end we discover that Yuki is a Winter faerie but what does it mean? Is she an enemy to Laurel and if so, why? The synopsis told us of a hidden enemy and waiting to find out the who and why is the fun part. No way am I going to complain about getting another book with more of Tamani! I feel as much as this is Laurel's story, Tamani is the star of the show. Yeah I feel a little bad about David but I'm just being realistic. Holding onto somebody for the wrong reasons is just as unhealthy for you as it is for them.

I am thoroughly confused about Shar, Tamani's best friend. He seems loyal enough to be considered one of the good guys, but when he claims he is neither Seelie or Unseelie but determined to protect Avalon - I don't know what to think. I would hate for Tamani to have to make a difficult decision about his best friend fate.

Aprilynne Pike did an excellent job of creating her own faerie world. She really did her research and created a world with its own hierarchy, its own science and mythology. She explains how their magic works in ways that you have to remind yourself that, "Oh yeah. This is fiction." 

Overall: More faerie goodness. This is a can't-miss series. It took the entire book to get to this killer cliffhanger and the wait for book #4 is going to slow and painful. I will love and hate every minute of it!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails