Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Tuesday Review Day!

Written by: Aprilynne Pike
Publication date: May 4, 2010 by Harper Teen
Released in Hardcover
359 pages

4 stars

Synopsis: Six months have passed since Laurel saved the gateway to the faerie realm of Avalon. Now she must spend her summer there, honing her skills as a Fall faerie. But her human family and friends are still in mortal danger--and the gateway to Avalon is more compromised than ever.

When it comes time to protect those she loves, will she depend on David, her human boyfriend, for help? Or will she turn to Tamani, the electrifying faerie with whom her connection is undeniable?

My Review: There was finally good TV on this week and all I wanted to do was read this book! Of all the other unread books on my bookcases, I knew I wanted to pick this series back up for one reason: Tamani. Whenever Tamani was in a scene, I couldn't help but smile and be excited the whole time! This is a character I really liked and I just wanted more of him.

Laurel is a great character as well (with a great name, by the way). She is strong, decisive and humble. But she's also very stubborn. She refuses to leave her human life behind her, feeling the need to protect her parents, human boyfriend, David and other friends. She also denies her feelings for Tamani. She is needed in Avalon and vulnerable in the human world. I don't assume it would be easy to do such a thing, but the truth is that Avalon was her home long before California was. Just because she can't remember that part doesn't mean it isn't just as important.

The love triangle between David, Laurel and Tamani is spiraling out of control! Spoiler Alert: When Tamani kissed her at the festival and then again in front of David? That  was SO intense! I could almost feel Tamani's need for Laurel to finally give in and let him love her, the way it was always meant to be. I thought for sure that when it really came down to David or Tamani, that she would choose Tamani. Like I said, she's stubborn. I don't doubt that David is a great boyfriend, what with remembering to open the door for her every time without fail. But love is about what you feel with this person, at the sight of this person, or at the mere mention of this person. Love is pure instinct, if it's true, it requires no thought. I wish Laurel would ditch David and be with Tam and live in Avalon the way it was always intended and live happily ever after, the end. The best part of Avalon is that you don't pay for anything!! Instead of money, compliments are their from of currency. If you see something you like at the market, you simply tell the faerie who made it how much you like it and then you just...walk away! Amazing!

I don't like Klea Wilson, self-proclaimed bad-ass troll hunter or whatever. Yeah, so what she saved David and Laurel's lives a couple times when it really mattered and not knowing who she really is adds mystery to the story. I still would have liked it to be Tamani that was swooping in to save the day, instead of leaning against a tree, miles away, the whole time. I do like that everything is out in the open now: Chelsea knows Laurel's secret and her parents know about the true danger Laurel is in.

There was one line in this book that really made me stop and think...and feel. First let me try to set the scene a little here. If memory serves, Laurel is in Avalon studying how to be a Fall faerie when Tamani comes to visit her. She hugs him and when it was time to let go and step away, she describes it with this amazing analogy: "It's like trying to make a river reverse its flow." When I read that I stopped because I really wanted to think about that. I mean, imagine? Imagine what it would take to do such a thing. You would need nothing less than something powerful. It reminds me of the whole in Bella's chest without Edward. Devastation. Laurel feels the loss of being with Tamani.

Speaking of loss, major cliffhanger at the end! 

Overall: It was a pretty slow until about halfway through the book but not enough to deter me. This is a great series with strong characters and an interesting plot. The romance is consuming. I love everything about this series!


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails