Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Review Day!

Written by: Deborah Kerbel
Publication date: September 20, 2010
Released in Paperback

A story based on true accounts of supernatural occurrences at the Thornhill Village Public Library.

Synopsis:

A Victorian garden, a fishing lure, and a ghost named John.

Absolutely nothing is going right for Max Green. His parents have just uprooted their family from Vancouver to the bleak suburbs of Toronto, he has no friends, and everybody at his new high school is ignoring him. To make matters worse, he's in love with an older girl who's completely out of his league.

When Max discovers a local library rumored to be haunted by ghosts, he's immediately drawn to it. With the help of some cryptic messages, he begins to piece together the identity of the teenage ghost and the mysterious chain of events that have connected its spirit to the building for over a century. But just who was John, anyway? Why has he chosen to contact Max? And what does an old fishing lure have to do with solving the mystery?


How I Came To Read This: Contacted on the YA Blogosphere to review and find reviewers.

My Review: I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I was instantly intrigued by the mystery and the clues you get in each chapter.  the chapter alternate between the two main characters: Max, 16, new in town and invisible to everyone in school; and John, ghost who haunts the town library and is contacting Max from the other side. The switching of narrators really keep you wanting more!


The story of John is heart-wrenching. Tragic, really. There's no way you could start this book and put it down. Begin it early enough and you could finish in one night. It was spooky enough that I'd jump whenever my cellphone would vibrate while I was reading! Knowing the occurrences of the story were true accounts piques your curiosity even more. I found myself shaking my head and thinking, "What in the world happened to this kid? What is Max going to do? And what is the deal with this girl??"

Who Should Read This: I recommend it for any and all teens and tweens. Great story.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails