Thursday, August 12, 2010

Tithe by Holly Black

Written by: Holly Black
Publication date: August 30, 2004 (first published 2002)
Released in Paperback

5 stars

Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Kaye is a modern nomad. Fierce and independent, she travels from city to city with her mother's rock band until an ominous attack forces Kaye back to her childhood home. There, aid the industrial, blue-collar New Jersey backdrop, Kaye soon finds herself an unwilling pawn in an ancient power struggle between two rival faerie kingdoms - a struggle that could very well mean her death.

How I Came To Read This: I found in the store a while ago and it sat on my bookshelf for months. I thought I was losing interest in ever reading it but when I picked it up the other day, I grabbed me right away.

My Review: I could barely put this book down. I didn't even use a bookmark, just a star-shaped post-it, and by the end of the book, it had lost its stickiness. There aren't too many YA books that start with someone smoking a cigarrette, so I knew Holly Black had written something different with this series.

Kaye has been visited by faeries since she was a little girl. After moving around with her *ahem* "rockstar" mom for a while, they're forced to move back to Kaye's childhood home. Strange things start happening, like her best friend's boyfriend suddenly becoming obssessed with her and old merry-go-round horses coming to life just because she thought it in her head. Then she meets a wounded faerie knight who falls into her debt after she saves his life.

Kaye's faerie friends convince her to participate in the Tithe, a sacrifice. They assure her she won't be harmed but when things don't seem to be going as planned, Kaye must create her own plan.

I enjoyed how real this book was. The characters said things real people would say and reacted in kind. There wasn't any fluff in this story, I could imagine these things happening...to someone who just found out they're a pixie of course! The creatures weren't glorified monsters, described to be the most beautiful things in the world.

This book is clever, funny and enchanting. There are easily-likable characters and ones you only wish you could see for yourself! Kaye takes you with her on her journey to the strange and new faerie land.  But don't eat the fruit!!

Who Should Read This:  Honestly, I don't recommend this for really young readers. It has adult situations and strong language but a fun read for older fans.


AUTHOR OF THE MODERN FAERIE TALES SERIES: HOLLY BLACK!!


Don't forget to check out the sequels in this series Valiant and Ironside!

Where can you find Holly online?

Also, check out Holly's Live Journal and her Twitter Account 


Happy Reading!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails