Monday, July 12, 2010

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side Review

JESSICA'S GUIDE TO DATING ON THE DARK SIDE
Written by: Beth Fantaskey
Publication date: January 18, 2010 (1st published February 1, 2009
Released in Hardcover and Paperback

5 stars

Synopsis: Marrying a vampire definitely doesn't fit in to Jessica Packwood's senior-year "get a life" plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth and he's her long-lost-fiance. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire's Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But Jessica has never even been kissed - how can she possibly commit herself to a long-term relationship? Or an eternal relationship, for that matter?

How I Came to Read This: I have to be honest, the title really bugs me. It gives the impression that it will be corny - like a real guide for girls who think vampires really exist and how to date them! I put it off for a long time and then just decided to give it a chance.

My Review: I gotta say...the author's name, Beth Fantaskey, is the coolest pen name ever! And if that's her real name, even better. Fantaskey - it's like she wanted everyone to know that she's fantastic but didn't want to be flashy about it!

And yeah, this book was pretty fantastic from the beginning! Jessica struggles with wanting to be a normal 17 yr old and falling for a vampires once in a lifetime offer. It's a game of cat chases mouse then, watch out - PLOT TWIST - and now it's mouse chases cat! It's a great love story, too! I'm kicking myself now for not reading this sooner because I couldn't put it down.

This one had great characters: Lucius is a male character a reader could definitely fall for! Dark, mysterious, royal and self-sacrificing. Being born to fulfill a pact, yet struggling with emotions, he claims he does not and cannot feel - he is a vampire at war with himself.

Jessica is a rational thinker. Refuses to believe that vampires even exist let alone the fact that she is one and destined to rule over millions of them! She loves the life she has and was just getting into the swing of things when Lucius throws her for a loop with the whole marriage thing. Now Jessica has to decide whether to keep her old life or give it up for a life she never could have imagined.

There's still the high school drama in this book that I can't seem to escape, but I guess I never will because I love the young adult genre so much! It makes me feel old though, what with my own first high school reunion fast approaching!

This book gave definite closure and I liked that! Sometimes an author leaves the ending open for you to imagine what happens next, after the story ends. But I love that this one provided a pretty detailed ending.

Who Should Read This: Ignore the lame title and dive into this romantic-comedy! You won't regret it!

You can find more of Jess and Lucius in The Wedding of Antanasia Jessica Packwood and Lucius Valeriu Vladescu!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails