Sunday, April 25, 2010

Abra-Cadavar!

STIFF: THE CURIOUS LIVES OF HUMAN CADAVERS
Written by: Mary Roach
Publication date: May 15, 2004
Released in Paperback


5 stars

Synopsis: Stiff is an oddly compelling, often hilarious exploration of the strange lives of our bodies postmortem. For two thousand years, cadavers - some willingly, some unwittingly - have been involved in science's boldest strides and weirdest undertakings. In this fascinating account, Mary Roach visits the good deeds of cadavers over the centuries and tells the engrossing story of our bodies when we are no longer with them.


How I Came to Read This: I found this book years ago and when I read the premise, I just couldn't pass it up. I love a book I can enjoy and learn from!


My Review: I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Mary Roach has a great sense of humor. I've recommended this book to several people and they never read it! I felt so disappointed because I knew that they were missing out. Mary Roach researchs the use of cadavers for all sorts of reasons. The one I found most interesting was how they're used to determine the amount of damage a living person would sustain in an impact.  For example, throwing a cadaver from an airplane, thousands of feet in the air.


Mary Roach gives you a great story with wonderful information and great humor.


Who Should Read This: This book provides great off-the-wall conversation. If you enjoy being a well-rounded kind of person (like myself), who can dabble in all types of topics, this is for you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails