Friday, April 30, 2010

SHIVER REVIEW

SHIVER (Wolves of Mercy Falls #1)
Written by: Maggie Stiefvater
Titles in Series: Shiver, Linger released July 20, 2010 and Forever released July, 2011
Publication date: August 1, 2009
Released in Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: The cold. Grace has spent years watching the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf - her wolf - watches back. He feels deeply familiar to her, but she doesn't know why.

The heat. Sam has lived two lives. As a wolf, he keeps the silent company of the girl he loves. And then, for a short time each year, he is human, never daring to talk to Grace...until now.

The shiver. For Grace and Sam, love has always been kept at a distance. But once it's spoken, it cannot be denied. Sam must fight to stay human - and Grace must fight to keep him - even if it means taking on the scars of the past, the fragility of the present, and the impossibility of the future.

How I Came to Read This: The cover is beautiful. There's a little something hidden in it and it immediately caught my attention on the shelf. Besides, I can't resist a girl-meets-wolf love story!

My Review: I never expected to fall in love with this book as much as I did. I liked the way each chapter switched narrators. You were able to get both sides of the story without a third-party narrator. There were moments of sadness, excitement and laughter. It was not your typical werewolf/shapeshifter tale, changing at will or at the full moon. Maggie Stiefvater switched it up and made this story completely unique. I've read plenty of wolf stories, but never anything like this and I think the twist that she put on it had a lot to do with my enjoyment of this book.

By the time I reached the end, I had already experienced a multitude of emotions, I'd practically bitten my bottom lip to shreds! I can't tell you how elated I was to find out that Linger was going to be released as well as a third one, Forever. I was happy with just the one book and now with two more? I just feel plain ol' spoiled!

Who Should Read This: Everyone. Why not? It was an amazing story. I loved it. Aside from my own opinion; this is it. This is what's hot right now and Maggie Stiefvater is everywhere! I think she's an amazing author and she has great insight.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails