Thursday, April 29, 2010

Twilight Graphic Novel Review


TWILIGHT: THE GRAPHIC NOVEL VOLUME 1Written by: Stephenie Meyer, Art and Adaptation by Young Kim
Publication date: March 16, 2010
Released in Hardcover


4 stars - I gave it 4 stars only because, it doesn't compare to the full story that you get in the original.

Synopsis: When Isabella Swan moves to the gloomy town of Forks and meets the mysterious, alluring Edward Cullen, her life takes a thrilling and terrifying turn. With his porcelain skin, golden eyes, mesmerizing voice, and supernatural gifts, Edward is both irresistible and impenetrable. Up until now, he has managed to keep his true identity hidden, but Bella is determined to uncover his dark secret....

How I Came to Read This Book: Well, when I first saw online that this was being published, I laughed at it. I thought it was getting redundant, overkill. But when I actually saw it on the shelves, I glanced inside and realized how cool it was to be able to read Twilight with pictures. Yeah I saw the movies, but it wasn't the same.

My Review: I read this book in about 2-3hrs one morning. It wouldn't have taken so long if my daughter wasn't so crazy! If you've already read the original, then this is a fun follow-up. The graphic novel to me, is an easier adaptation of the original novel. It gave you the gist of the story without diving into the gushy stuff (which, personally, I loved). It also skipped over the banter between Bella and the other characters. I think the illustrations also make it easier to read and more fun for the younger fans. I think for the older fans, the illustrations were just fun. It was like seeing the book in action, but in a completely different way from the movie. At first I thought I would be disappointed that the characters in the graphic novel didn't resemble the actors - because Robert Pattinson is just so scrumptious! - but it turned out to be for the best. The reason being is that I was able to focus on the dialogue and the pictures rather than staring at the hot guy!

Because Stephanie Meyer was so involved with the making of this rendition, it is a much closer interpretation of the original novel than the movie was. Maybe Stephanie Meyer should have directed the movies! I'm just saying.

I really appreciated the type of illustrations - kind of like anime. I really enjoyed the scene where Edward reveals himself to Bella. With the rest of the story in black and white, the color added here brought it to life for me.

I enjoyed this book. I'm glad to have it to add to my collection, the first of its kind. I look forward to the release of Volume 2. It would also be nice to have Midnight Sun (in Hardcover) to put on my shelf too. I'm just saying.

Who Should Read This: If you have a tween, or you are a tween, I think this version of Twilight is great. I also think that any Twilight fan should read it. There really isn't any reason not to.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails