Thursday, April 29, 2010

Reviews of Tantalize and Eternal by Cynthia Leitich Smith



TANTALIZE (Tantalize #1)Written by: Cynthia Leitich Smith


Title in Series: Tantalize, Eternal, and Blessed to be released in 2011
Publication Date: February 13, 2007
Released in Paperback and Hardcover

2 stars

Synopsis: Quincie Morris has never felt more alone. Her hybrid-werewolf first love is threatening to leave her forever. And just as she and her uncle are about to unveil Austin's first vampire-themed restaurant, their chef's brutal murder leaves Quincie scrambling to transform fresh-faced Henry Johnson into a culinary Dark Lord in time for opening night. But there's more than meets the eye to this new hire, and Quincie is about to learn a whole lot about love...and blood.

How I Came to Read This: I remember seeing this on the shelf, reading the back and thinking that it didn't sound like that great of a story. However, when I read that the characters would be making "appearances" in the sequel Eternal, which did sound good, I decided I would read this one first if I had to.

My Review: Well, I can't exactly say I enjoyed this book. I honestly didn't. It focused a lot on the restaurant business that Quincie has and it bored me to tears! There wasn't enough paranormal in it for me either. It was kind of like the main course was the restaurant and the vampires were the side dish. I feel bad because I almost always enjoy every book I read and this one just didn't do anything for me. And the love story aspect was definitely lacking. I hardly felt a deep enough connection between Quincie and...and the wolf. What was his name again?

[Quickie:] I wouldn't want anyone else to fall into the same trap I did; thinking that in order to read Eternal, you have to read Tantalize first. Well, you don't. There is no connection to each other. It's not a continuation of the same story or of the same characters. There is a third installment to this series titled Blessed (2011) and unless the characters all come together here, I don't see any reason to read them in order.

Who Should Read This: Unfortunately, this is not a book I would really recommend. There wasn't anything special about it. Too light on the vamps for my taste!



ETERNAL (Tantalize #2)
Written by: Cynthia Leitich Smith
Publication date: February 10, 2009
Released in Paperback and Hardcover

5 stars

Synopsis: Classified Ads: WANTED: Personal assistant to her Royal Highness. Duties: Whatever asked without hesitation, including but not limited to secretarial/administrative, household, defense, blood donation, driving, companionship, prey disposal, and love slavery.

At last, Miranda is the life of the party: all she had to do was die. Elevated and adopted by none other than the reigning King of the Mantle of Dracul, Miranda goes from high-school theater wannabe to glamorous royal fiend overnight. Her reckless and adoring guardian angel, meanwhile - fighting in human guise as the princess's personal assistant - has his work cut out for him with the Master's Death Day gala fast approaching. Can Zachary save his girl's soul and redeem himself before all hell arrives, quite literally, on their doorstep?

How I Came to Read This: I saw the cover, which right away said to me - angels! It's not often you get a story about them, let alone a guardian angel! The whole vampire/guardian angel thing could have only turned out one of two ways: disastrous or awesomeness!

My Review: The result, you ask? AWESOMENESS!!! This book was different, funny and exciting. Having just been turned into a vampire - a royal one, at that - Miranda fumbles with etiquette and the way things are done in her new life. She does so in a very comical way that makes it easy to imagine yourself in that situation. Trying hard to fit in while trying to make it look natural at the same time. Zachary is truly the comic relief in this story, though. He is quick-witted and for an angel, he doesn't take any crap! Although I really enjoyed everything about this book, he was the highlight for me.

If you read my previous review of Tantalize, it wasn't very pretty. When I read Eternal, I felt like I was reading an entirely different author. You just have to read it for yourself! You won't be sorry.

Who Should Read This: Eternal was different than your average vampire story. It was a love story, yes. But not mushy or heartbreaking either. It was just fun to read.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails